Thursday 16 July 2015

10th & 13th July - Sperm Banking

Well, without getting into too much graphic detail the two visits I made to the sperm bank were pretty non eventful. There was a lot of paperwork to go through on my first visit to ensure I was giving my consent to all the storage questions and potential what ifs for different scenarios. 

I was then ushered into a private room in order to do the do where I had access to a cupboard labeled 'Men's Literature', and no, this didn't contain football or rugby magazines. Fortunately the procedure went pretty smoothly. Whilst I was in unfamiliar surroundings, I was at least able to call on years of experience in order to overcome any potential stage fright, although the destination target area (i.e. the cup) was pretty small.

All being well all this hassle will be a wasted exercise as my swimmers should return to normal a few months after my treatment's finished, but it's better to be prepared.

I had to make two visits to the hospital in order to make two deposits, one on the Friday and one on the following Monday. I was informed this resulted in ten different virals of my swimmers being stored in case they were ever needed. The storage will be funded by the NHS for at least five years, and should I wish to keep my Chateau Burrow vintage in storage for up to a further 55 years, it would cost me a little over £250 per year. At this point I had only consented for my sperm to be stored and not what it could be used for. Jacki and I will need to go through further consultations in order to confirm these decisions.  Yet more hospital appointments!

No comments:

Post a Comment